A range of foods, nutrients, and dietary patterns are being studied for prostate cancer prevention or treatment, according to a 2015 research review.
While the ideal diet prescription has yet to be determined, the investigators suggest counseling men with these tips, in line with emerging research and a heart healthy diet:
- Increase fruits and vegetables.
- Replace refined carbohydrates with whole grains.
- Reduce total and saturated fat intake.
- Avoid overcooked meats (such as charred barbecue).
- Consume fewer calories (by reducing carbohydrates, for example) to achieve a healthy body weight.
Men often ask about dietary changes if they have prostate cancer. I have been telling them for years to follow a heart healthy diet, which also will help with their prostate cancer.