Domenico Savatta, M.D., graduated Tau Beta Pi, and summa cum Laude from The Cooper Union for advancement of Science and Art with a B.S. in engineering. He then attended SUNY Stony Brook School of Medicine and was an AOA graduate. Thereafter, he completed a six-year residency in urology at the prestigious Indiana University Medical Center, world renowned for the treatment of testicular cancer and other urologic malignancies.
Dr. Savatta’s practice is devoted to adult urology with the majority of time dedicated to prostate cancer and robotic surgery.
During his residency he trained under the direction of several leaders in the field of urologic oncology, endourology, reconstructive urology, and prosthetic urology. He has participated in research involving minimally invasive ways to ablate renal tissue including new laparoscopic techniques and high intensity focused ultrasound ablation of kidneys.
He has published papers with national leaders describing how to perform robotic inguinal hernia surgery during robotic prostatectomy and robotic partial nephrectomy for kidney cancer.
Dr. Savatta is a member of the American Urological Association and The Endourologic Society. His interests include:
- Minimally invasive Robotic and Laparoscopic urology, including davinci robotic prostatectomy, robotic nephrectomy, robotic cystectomy, and robotic pyeloplasty
- Urologic oncology, including the surgical treatment of testicular cancer, and reconstructive urology, including the creation of bladder replacements and continent urinary diversions.
- Kidney Stone disease including ESWL (shock wave treatment), ureteroscopy, PCNL, and robotic surgery
Dr. Savatta is a leader in robotic surgery having performed performed over 1000 daVinci Robotic Prostatectomies and 1400 Robotic operations. Some of his accomplishments include:
- Performed the first DaVinci prostatectomy in the Morris/Essex/Union county area (December 2004)
- Performed the first robotic partial nephrectomy in New Jersey (May 2005)
- Performed the first robotic cystectomy New Jersey (November 2005)
- Live da Vinci robotic prostatectomy to the American Urologic Association national meeting at the Intuitive Surgical exhibit: May 22, 2006
- First daVinci S Urologic robotic instructor in the Northeast
- Newark Beth Israel’s robotic surgery center- August 2006
- Live da Vinci robotic radical nephrectomy (for kidney cancer) to the American Urologic Association national meeting at the Intuitive Surgical exhibit: May 20, 2007 (This was the first live operation of this type)